How to decorate a rustic finca
Discover the secret on this post!
When we talk about a rustic finca we picture ourselves in a quiet and comfortable place where the elements and nature combine to create incredible properties. Its decoration focuses on traditional materials such as stone, wood, brick or clay to achieve a unique and, of course, rural style.
Today we give you the keys to make the decoration of your finca a complete success.
Ready, set, go:
- Use natural elements. We are talking about stone, wood, brick or clay. These materials can be used on walls, floors, ceilings or to build furniture. The "mares", a typical stone of the island, is a favourite for these properties. Combine it with wooden shelves, brick fireplaces or typical Majorcan clay dishes. Use them also on doors and windows to get that rustic style that you are looking for.
- Restores deteriorated areas. In rare cases the old and deteriorated areas work to your advantage, but it´s your lucky day. In the case of rustic fincas, reforming these rooms or furniture will give it a "vintage" touch, fusing the old and the modern.
- Fabrics. These textiles are essential in a rustic finca. Combine warm tones with brushstrokes of colour and decorate floors, furniture and even walls. The"lenguas mallorquinas," a traditional fabric of the island characterized by brightly coloured geometric patterns, is ideal for upholstering chairs, curtains and cushions. It can also be used as a tablecloth. It will make your table look purely Majorcan!
- Paint old furniture. With a little varnish and some colour, chairs or tables that didn´t have much use can now become a different and exciting part of your decoration. Pastel colours are the ones usually chosen.
- Don't be afraid to mix different designs. Combining furniture of different styles is fashionable, and looks phenomenal. This technique works great with dining chairs. It will give this stay an original touch.
- Stone sink in the kitchen. The kitchen is one of the most important rooms of a rustic finca. The use of large stone sinks will take you back to the antique Majorcan possessions. Don´t be afraid to combine it with current water taps. As we have said before, modern and traditional blend in perfectly.
- Take advantage of the privileged views and natural light. These fincas are usually located in magical places. Take advantage of the view by means of large windows of great height and breadth. Let the light enter the rooms to create a warm and relaxed atmosphere.
- Use green. Nature is your best ally. Use plants to decorate both exteriors and interiors. Give it a fresh air, essential in these fincas.
- Rocking chairs. The rocking chair is a classic of the islands typical decoration. The most traditional ones are usually made of wood, although they can already be found of different materials. Upholster them to your liking![
- Yes to the countryside elements as decoration. Reuse objects such as jugs, glass vases, hats and even old utensils dedicated to the manufacture of oil and wine.
Now that you have the perfect house, why not prepare a summer dinner or as Majorcans say a "dinar a la fresca." Discover how on our next post!